Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Just Not Funny

This afternoon I logged onto my facebook to take a break from some cleaning I was doing and see "If Fred Got Two Beatings Per Day..." WHAT?!?!?!? I just had to read this article and yet again I'm angered by the public school system.

Apparently Beaver Ridge Elementary School in Norcross Atlanta decided they would try some "cross curriculum problems" in an effort to combine social studies and math. One question was "Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?" again I say WHAT?!?!?!? What the hell is wrong with these people? You wanna add some social studies to your math here's a question. "If 8 evil and bigoted slave owners are forced to free their slaves and each has 10 slaves, how many men does that free."

When, as would be expected, concerns were brought up the spokeswoman for Gwinnett County school Sloan Roach was quoted saying
We understand that there are concerns about these questions, and we agree that these questions were not appropriate.
"Oops our bad" I'm sorry but maybe you should have these discussions before you send home the damned homework, or gods forbid if you plan on changing your curriculum style you notify the parents with perhaps a sampling of what it would look like. These half-assed apologies are not good enough. They just aren't I'm sorry.

I want to have the utmost respect for teachers, I really do. Yet time and time again they disappoint us all. All over the news we hear reports of teachers beating students, bullying students, having sex with students, telling students to bribe them for good grades, shoving religion at them and generally warping their young minds in unspeakable ways. What does the public get in return? These half-assed, half-hearted "apologies" if you can call them that. "I don't know what I was thinking" "It was a misstep in judgment" "We were just trying something different" "I didn't realize the impact of what I did would have."

I'm sorry but don't our tax dollars pay their bills? I think we deserve a little more than some cliched speech. I'll say it again, it's just not good enough. We entrust these people with the future of our world and they treat it like it's a chore, and damn us for expecting them to be good at their jobs, because let's not forget, that's what it is. Teaching youth is their JOB, and if anyone else is bad at their job or abuses their power in grievous ways we would expect them to be FIRED. Instead these people wipe away tears in front of the cameras and act like they've been victimized. They're frustrated with the public for being expected to answer for their actions.

If you're a teacher and my little rant has offended you I apologize that was never my intention. I'm just sick to death of these people who just fall into education because their dream career fell. They're bitter and are treating innocent children like some sort of science experiment, or something less than human simply because they think they can get away with it. It is NOT acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog