Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Trouble With Spells Review

Today I finished The Trouble with Spells by Lacey Weatherford. I've mentioned a couple of times that the review of this book is not going to be pretty so if you're a fan of the book or the series, try not to take offense and remember that we're all entitled to our own opinions.

I said when I first started reading this book that I loved the Twilight series. Apparently so did the author. Before anyone gets huffy with me I've done my research and I'm pretty sure that the Twilight series started coming out first, if I'm wrong please correct me. There are just way to many similarities. He's the resident bad boy that all the girls want and all the boys are jealous of. He can read her mind (although she can also read his). She's asks him for sex while he turns her down to protect their virtue and to keep her safe. Also he says he wants to marry her when they've been dating for maybe a few weeks. He also sleeps next to her every night and keeps a quilt tucked around her to separate their bodies (just like the Twilight series).

The biggest difference between the two books is that they're witches instead of vampires. Also they're apparently Christian witches. Odd but not entirely unheard of. I'll give her a little credit for making an attempt to talk about the Rule of Returns and for getting the names of some magickal tools right. I don't have a problem with the Harry Potter or fantasy style of witchcraft writing but accuracy is always nice.

In my opinion it seemed like a combination of a Silver Ravenwolf 101 book and Twilight with a splash of Practical Magic and Sabrina the Teenage Witch for good measure. Other than that there were some small language quirks that I found irritating (two people who live in the same house are not "visiting" with each other simply because they're chatting). Also Portia was a little to vapid for my taste. Unless one of the sequels literally falls in my lap I don't think I'll be searching out the rest of this series.

Over all I'd give it a 1 out of 5 rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog