One of my husbands favorites is my home made macaroni & cheese casserole. I love the versatility of this recipe. I've made a scrumptious seafood pasta bake with green onions and peas, I've made a ball park version with bell peppers and kielbasa, and I've made an Italian version with fresh herbs and sausage. Add a fresh salad with seasonal veggies on the side and you've got a full meal.
Despite the many ways I've transformed this our staple version is usually filled with chopped ham and broccoli. I hope you try it out for your Imbolc festivities.
- 1 pound macaroni
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar or Colby cheese (for a creamier cheese sauce use 4 ounces shredded and 4 ounces Velveeta)
- 1 bag frozen broccoli
- 1 large Ham steak chopped
- Cook macaroni according to box directions, add broccoli during last few minutes of cooking time.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and saute onions and garlic on medium heat. When the onions are tender slowly stir in flour until it makes a yellow paste. Gradually whisk in milk stirring constantly over medium heat until sauce thickens (you'll know it's thick enough when it coats your whisk).
- Add salt, pepper and cheese and stir gently until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Combine cheese sauce, ham, broccoli and macaroni and pour into a greased 13x9inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30mins at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When finished cover with tinfoil and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.