Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ancestors of Avalon Review

After over 3 months I am finished reading Ancestors of Avalon. On the whole I'm an insanely fast reader, however it was only just recently that I was able to once again devote time to my favorite habit. Even still I'm generally only able to get in one chapter a day, two at most.

The writing style was not quite the same as Mysts of Avalon. Also for those of you who read Mysts of Avalon you know that the entire book is told from the points of view of the women in the story. The same is not so with Ancestors. The book mainly focuses on Tiriki and Micail. After fleeing their burning home within the Sea Kingdoms they are seperated and brought to different parts of the British Isles. From that point on we see how they are effected by the societies surrounding them.

The book jumps between the experiences of Tiriki and Micail. While her and her companions seek to live amongst and at peace with the natives, Micail's seek to rule them. I didn't connect with the characters in this book the same way I did with the characters in Mysts of Avalon. Despite that it was fun to see Igraine's vision of her and Uther in past lives played out. I also enjoyed how they explained the building of Stonehenge and the maze in the Tor.

I ended up kind of disliking Micail which I didn't want to do and absolutely hating Tjalan. My favorite character was Tiriki, I loved watching her find her strength.

Overall I liked Mysts of Avalon more but it was still an excellent book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog