Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Holidays, Cleaning, and Reading

The holidays are winging their way towards us at lightning speed and I haven't even begun shopping. Bills are at the top of my to do list and doing the holiday financial juggle is less entertaining than ever. Our tree is up and the beginnings of decorations are up, garland, lights. I'm considering making a popcorn garland but we'll see what time, patience, and energy allows. Lately my days have been filled with an insane amount of cleaning and reading. Each Equinox and Solstice fills me with the urge to put things in order, clear the air, and de-clutter.

In my few free moments I've managed to grab a shower here and there and savour books, like decadent chocolates. I finished reading Dracula and and found Bram's writing to be darkly funny. Not sure if he intended it that way or I'm just twisted but I enjoyed it none the less. If you haven't read it yourself it's written as a series of journal entries from different perspectives. Each character having moments of wisdom that stuck with me.

I loved Van Helsing. Today he's depicted as some young hunk vampire hunter/ religious vigilante ( certainly not a depiction to be spit at ), a far cry from the tender, intelligent, aging, man formed in the imagination of Stoker. His fervent love for those around him and the willingness to do what he considered his duty to humankind at the risk of his own life was endearing. Normally I don't find myself drawn to characters who are desperately religious, but his religious fervour was without pompousness, and a holier-than-thou that is far to prevalent today.

Next on my reading list is Frankenstein which is a lot shorter than I expected it to be but I look forward to it all the same. Then it's back to books written in my lifetime for a little while.

And yet unless my senses deceive me, the old centuries had, and have powers of their own which mere "modernity" cannot kill. ~ Jonathan Harker, Bram Stoker's Dracula
Truer words were never written


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog