Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble Review

Last night I finished Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory. I loved this book from beginning to end. It took surprising turns, and I loved the main character and her evolution throughout the book. I highly recommend this book. It was fun, quirky, funny, sexy, and engaging. It was like Twilight (yes I know lame reference but I liked Twilight, so sue me) for adults. Also, most of the book takes place in England, I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with England.. not sure why.

I don't want to give anything away but it has every facet of the supernatural you can imagine all in one book. Witch's, Ghosts Vampires, Werewolves, Fairy's, Pixies, and Demons (though you don't meet them yet). Also it's not all just smashed together. Each creature is highlighted in his or her own time. They each have their own purpose and they all seem to mesh together seamlessly. It doesn't feel like they are all just thrown together as an afterthought or in desperation to get them all in there.

Jolie is fun, funny and relatable. A powerful Witch with major self-doubt. She isn't vain, or stuck on herself which I like, plus she doesn't like arrogance which I doubly like. Rand, her boss/would be lover, sounds like enough to make any woman drool/melt/burst into flames but he too seems real. He has a personality that doesn't just revolve around kissing Jolie's feet. I think it's a little ridiculous that pretty much every man that comes into contact with her from the underworld falls all over himself trying to get into her pants but it is what it is. I guess with as long as they all live they get a little sick of seeing the same creatures day in and day out. Fresh meat is always exciting. Christa her best friend kind of becomes her side-kick, but again, at least she has her own personality, she isn't just some extension of Jolie.

If I had to make one tiny smidgen of a complaint it would be that Jolie, the protagonist, seems confused. First she wants sex, then she's saving herself... *ack* but I guess that's anyones prerogative. Also the main vampire hunks name is a little weird.. Sinjin??? I can only assume it has some specific meaning to the author. Other than that I would have done away with the word warlock *gag* (see Why I Hate the Word Warlock) but I'm not the author so that's not my call.

I already have the next one and I can't wait to start it but for a little change of pace and to give myself a bit of a break from all of the Witchy fiction I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've never actually read it and I'm looking forward to it.

If you're interested you can find H.P. Mallory on Facebook, Twitter, and she has a blog!

What have you been reading lately?

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog